Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A Look Ahead

I am one of those people that is always looking to the future.  Not in a 'i'm dissatisfied with my life and can't wait for things to get better' way.  I'm actually incredibly happy and blessed with what I have - a beautiful child, a loving husband, a good career.  Its much more of a 'I have all of this excess energy and want to accomplish all of these amazing things in my life and am always setting goals' way.

To that end, i've been thinking about what I will do in a year when i've finished The French Laundry and hosting my little parties.  I love cooking for people.  I'll still have dinner parties - maybe with prettier dishes and place settings (I think about this all the time now, but don't really have the money to spend on this stuff with the cost of the ingredients that go into TFL).  I've considered the idea of maybe cooking all of Keller - Bouchon, Ad Hoc, Under Pressure (experimenting with sous vide would be pretty awesome, although it might be a stretch to convince hubby that I *need* an immersion circulator).  I was catching up on my blog list today and saw that Michael Ruhlman, the amazing author of The French Laundry (as well as all of the other Keller cookbooks from what I understand), is doing the Bouchon Bakery Cookbook - so that could be added to the list.  I've toyed with the idea of training for a triathlon or marathon - there are times when I spend as much time cooking as I would training - but i'm much better at eating than running... so the cooking Keller thing may be more desirable.  On the other hand, I do like instant gratification, or at least finishing things as fast as possible... and four more cookbooks seem like they would take an awfully long time.

What would you want to cook through?  Or what other big self-improvement projects have you considered?  What goals do you have for yourself?  Am I crazy to think I can take on all of Keller?

No comments:

Post a Comment