Monday, February 28, 2011

Ad Hoc: Roasted Chicken with Root Vegetables

Doesn't the title sound comforting and just what you need on a cold wintery day?

That's what I thought too, so I made it on like the only day in the last month that it actually rained.  I don't know if I was just in a crappy mood or what, but this disappointed a bit.  I mean, it was good... but it was just roast chicken.  And, since I made it with a ridiculous $4 a pound organic free range no-hormone hand-fed (ok, at this point I think i'm making things up) chicken, I expected more.

I will give it this though: it was pretty easy.  Easy enough to make on a weekday night.


First you chop up the vegetables - carrots, potatoes, leeks, turnips, rutabaga.  I admit: I had to ask the grovery store man for help finding a rutabaga.  I think those delightful but obscure root vegetables were my favorite part of the dish!


Second, I trussed the chicken.  Simple enough, even though I had serious issues with his wings staying put.


Toss the veg in a big pan (I used my massive cast iron one, since I thought it would be nice, but I think if I ever made this again I would use a bigger one); build a "nest" for the chicken; then in the oven it goes.   Oh, yeah, and put big chunks of butter for extra deliciousness (or trips to the gym: you chose which).



 At least the top part of the chicken looked pretty when it was done:


After the chickem "rested" for 20 minutes, I heated the veggies up and used the pan juices to glaze a bit.


The result: meh.  It was roasted chicken.

All in all, I don't know that I would do a chicken this way again.  Brandon thought it was too "thyme-y" (having him ask me how much thyme was in the dish/vegetables/chicken in four different ways because I thought he was asking how long things took was pretty funny) -- but I loved the thyme.  And the rutabagas, which were like sweeter potatoes.  That I picked out from the pan until all were gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment