Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Basics: Pepper Confetti



Pepper confetti makes an appearance in several recipes. I'm not so sure this is going to happen in my house, but we'll see.

Pepper confetti sounds easy in theory: red, yellow, and green bell peppers. Peel, julienne, and microwave until they are dried out little suckers.

(sidenote: the last part totally reminds me of one of the childhood stories i've heard a million times about how my brother in law liked to microwave his hot dogs for like 10 minutes, until they were completely dried out hot dog jerky. So I had no doubt about the microwaving working. Silly, naive me)

Admittedly, I didn't julienne the bell peppers in perfect strips. But, I swear, they were a little better than this picture indicates:

After julienning, I arranged in layers on my perfectly smooth (and very clean) microwave plate and zapped away.

The result: not what I think it was supposed to look like.


The peppers didn't dry out entirely, and I had those weird burn marks on the ribs (hey, but the fact that the burn marks are SO even supports my claim that I julienned them pretty well!) I tried more microwaving, and they just started sticking to the plate, so I decided that was enough. The pepper confetti was definitely not dry enough to store; it really wasn't even dry enough to sprinkle. (and looking ahead, i'm really not sure what it added to the dish... so not sure if it will be reappearing. its times like this I kick myself for getting rid of Brandon's dehydrator when we last moved)

No comments:

Post a Comment